Mitten Shiro Wot - Seasoned Chickpea Flour Stew
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes | Serving: 6- 8 people
- 1 Onion (Red or Yellow)
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 3 cups of water
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup of Mitten Shiro flour (buy it here)
- 2-7 cloves of garlic (3 recommended)
- 1 tbs of Salt (Optional)
- Black peppers as needed
- Fassica's Injera bread (gluten free or regular)
- In a large stock pot, cook the onions on medium-high heat for several minutes, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften and turn translucent.
- Add the oil and cook for a few more minutes. (If you would like additional flavor, add 1-2 tbs of berbere.)
Continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes then add tomatoes
Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add 1/2 of water and continue to simmer
Add Salt (optional)
Start adding a small portion of Mit'ten shiro flour at a time and while continuously stirring.
- If berbere is added, allow the ingredients to simmer together for several minutes (Berbere should always have plenty of time to cook before other ingredients are added )
Let it cook for 15-20 minutes
Continuously adding a small amount of water, while stirring for 1-2 minutes or until desire shiro thickness.
- Shiro will start to becoming thicker
Add the garlic and salt (as needed), stir well, and continue simmering until bubbles start appearing for 2-3 minutes.
- With more cooking time, Shiro stew will continue to become thicker. It's always best to add a small amount of extra water and let it cook for additional 4-5 minutes.
NOTE: Shiro stew should now be ready. Shiro is best served with salad or another Ethiopian dish such as Misir Wotor Atklit wot and eaten with 100% teff - gluten free injera.